This is very experimental. You can now experimentaly upload your OLON content under your account in MapShake. Try this:
1. Go to site http://www.sumbera.com/lab/wmsbinder/getcap.htm (sorry in CZ and just local projection JTSK) , just zoom to some place and click on thumbnails of WMS )
2. you may draw some vectors as well, go to OLON tab and export it, copy OLON content into clipborad (so far manual step).
3. Make sure you have active account in MapShake (www.mapshake.cz, again sorry it is in Czech , however it should be intuitive, if not let me know ..)
4. go to page http://www.mapshake.cz/createmap.aspx and post your OLON content from step 2 (from clipborad) into MapShake
5. your map will be stored in MapShake on success…
there are some known issues regarding zooming in MapShake reconstructed OLON map.
I have put together preview for visually shaking maps where you don’t get just map layer names, but also preview of layers ! Somehow I couldn’t find any page on internet that would allow you to display layers from GetCapabilities WMS as image thumbnails. I’ve kept this idea for a long time and actually it started with yahoo pipes year ago – why not to visually display GetCapabilities as RSS feed with image thumbnails referenced as media type in the feed ? after little experimenting I realized that the value is in combination of position and WMS information, so the use case is “I am here on this place and hey WMS servers, give me all you know about this place…”
Map Binder can be found on page http://www.sumbera.com/lab/wmsbinder/getcap.htm . Feel free to save it and examine it. I believe that from this point desktop and web readers of WMS layers will display thumbnails for better user experience :).